Transplants and your garden. Frugal food!


Don't these veggies look absolutely delicious? Don't think you can afford to have fresh veggies? Gardening is a great way to save money, and now is the time to start planning your garden and growing your transplants. It's a great way to cut down on your food budget and beat the higher food prices that are coming. Remember the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper?


You don't need much room or time to start your own transplants. You need an indoor mini greenhouse, like this one:

Seeds:

Dirt:

And a sunny window:

And about 4-8 3weeks before your last frost. That'll depend on where you are living. 

We have started peppers, tomatoes (3 types), cucumbers and watermelons for our garden. Mind you my peppers aren't doing as well as I would like, but they are in and it's much cheaper than even buying the transplants. It's amazing how quickly they go from seeds to plants. I'm going to be starting my second tray of flower transplants and more tomatoes and peppers today. Here's hoping that they take off this time. We use them all to make salsa or canned tomatoes for the winter. 

Do you grow your own transplants? What are you growing?

Enjoy your day!

2 comments:

Jane said...

I currently live in a city but am moving to PEI in 3 years. The place I bought has a few acres and I'm already thinking about all the veggies I can grow! Can't wait!

YourMoney said...

Isn’t gardening exciting? Just looking at your little seedlings sends me running for some seeds of my own. There are so many benefits from growing your own veggies it’s almost crazy not to. Not to mention the amount of money you will save. And don’t you find they taste so much better? Good luck and hopefully your peppers make a speedy recovery.