Frugal Reader Report

Hello All,

A reader friend send this email to me with their experience of savings at Sobeys. I found it rather intriguing, so I asked permission to be able to share it with all of you:

Hey Liz,

I don't know if you have noticed that Sobey's sometimes gives away crazy amounts of airmiles when you purchase $x.xx amount of certain products.

L and I took advantage of such a deal this week. In partnership with Quaker, Frito-Lay, Pepsi, Tropicana, and Gatorade, Sobey's was giving away 350 air miles with the purchase of $100 of their products.

Now, we are not one's to drink pop often, or gatorade, we rarely get chips, and juice is kinda out of our budget right now. However, while we were in the cereal aisle I did some quick calculations in my head and realized that 350 airmiles was about $50 in Sobey's giftcards - when I got home I found out that I was correct.

We also noticed that a number of the items were on sale, or available in family size boxes. So, what we found on sale was granola bars, life cereal, crispy minis, rice cakes, and oatmeal. We also found oatmeal to go bars in bulk, as well as a few more granola bars in the bulk family size as well. We then realized that it was Tuesday and because of the 10% off discount I get for being a student on that day, we had to add a couple extras to get us over the $100 after the discount. We found some pretzels, baked cheetos, and some diet ginger ale from frito-lay and pepsi.

I don't know the exact figures, but I would estimate that with all the sales and discounts, we bought over $150 - probably much more than $150 - of food for $100, and we will have enough airmiles to cash in for $50 worth of giftcard money from sobey's, plus we also received the coupon for a discount on our next fill-up on gas from Irving.

So, over $150 worth of food for $50, more variety, and a huge increase to our food storage, plus the discount on gas, it is one of those things I hadn't really thought about much, but it is a great deal for us, and we really don't have to worry about groceries other than some perishables for the next 5 months.

~J

 Keep your comments and stories coming. I love it when we learn from each other. 

Enjoy your day!

No comments: