Too Hot to Make Strawberry Jam Now? Why Not Make it From Frozen Fruit?

I love strawberry season and I love strawberry jam. I DO NOT like having my stove going in the heat, but the berries won't wait. What to do. Well, if you're like me and would like to make your jam on your schedule, I have a recipe for you! Yes, you still have to pick your berries and hull them and freeze them in the season, but then freeze them 8 cups to a bag. It also only uses half the sugar, which of course you are buying in good quantities because it's on sale a lot at this time of the year.

I got this recipe out of a magazine years and years ago. It's the only one I make and may I add, do not stray from it! Tell me if it worked for you and what you thought of it.

Strawberry Jam From Frozen Fruit



8 cups whole unsweetened frozen strawberrries
1 box of light pectin crystals (warning: DO NOT SUBSTITUTE THIS FOR ANY OTHER KIND!! trust me!)
4 1/2 cups of sugar

Thaw berries until just a few ice crystals remain. Drain, reserving juice; crush fruit. Combine fruit and juice to make 6 cups. Pour into heavy saucepan. Mix pectin with 1/4 cup of the sugar and stir into fruit. Bring to full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add remaining sugar (4 1/4 cups). Return to full rolling boil, stirring. Boil hard for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir and skim off any foam for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, boil lids for 5 minutes. Fill sterilized jars (8- 1 cup jars or 4- 2 cup jars), leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rims if necessary. Seal with prepared lids, screw on bands fingertip tight. Process in boiling water bath canner for 5 minutes. Remove and let cool on rack for 24 hours, inverting jars several times to distribute fruit. Check seal, wipe jars and store in cool dark dry place.

I have also used raspberries for this recipe and they turned out great! Let me know if you try it and what you think of it.

Enjoy your day!

No comments: